Trading Standards Service has continued to receive reports that Hampshire residents are falling victim to ‘courier’ fraud.
During the summer Hampshire residents are advised to be on their guard against strangers at the door. It can be difficult to tell whether the person is genuine, a rogue trader offering repair or home improvements or a bogus caller/distractions burglar trying to gain access to a property.
Reports of doorstep crime in Hampshire include:
- Gardeners or Tree Surgeons offering general gardening work, garden clearance or felling branches from trees
- Pressure washing of driveways or roofs
- Drain inspection which normally results in an alleged fault being discovered
- Home insulation
- Spray foam insulation – sometimes called icynene
- Gutter clearance
- Driveways including block paving and tarmac
There is no obligation for you to allow any person into your home and you are within your rights to refuse access. Sound advice is to say "No” to all doorstep cold callers.
If you are a Hampshire County Council resident you can request a free door sticker which may help you to say “No” to cold callers. Please contact Hampshire Trading Standards on 01962 833620 or email email@example.com.
Hampshire County Council residents are advised to report incidents of doorstep crime to the Quick Response Team at the Trading Standards Service on 01962 833666 or contact the police on 999 if they feel the situation is urgent or that they are threatened in any way.